Thursday, April 26, 2012

New Projects

Written April 10th, 2012.
Oh man, a real post, finally.  Life's been... interesting lately.  On a personal note, later today ie: when the sun's up, I'm going to finally cut my hair.  I was combing out my hair a few days ago, and I hit a mat in the under layers of my hair.  When I tugged it, the comb snapped.  I then proceeded to pick plastic out of my hair for the next 15 minutes.  So I'm gonna donate my hair and cut it short.  I'll post a picture later.

Full view
There's been progress on the Whale.  I've since put the project on hiatus for the oncoming convention season.  
Started beading in the background
The beading is super dense!
I'm about 1/3 of the way done with the initial grey colored beads and then I need to color match to 3 more shades of grey.  Right now I need to put this on hold until I finish some costume bits for Steampunk Worlds Fair.  I really want to go, even if it's only for Saturday which is highly likely considering the amount of work I need.  That and the circuit breaker for my room, studio room, and the living room has suddenly died and the overhead lights don't work and I'm not gonna ruin my eyes trying to work in the dark. 

My Sewing machine is finally in the repair shop.  I've been putting it off for far too long and if I want to have a costume for SPWF then I need it fixed.  I have fabric for 2 skirts and I have some store banners from a friend that I have cut into pieces for making tote bags.  I make these huge tote bags from store banners that would normally be thrown out.  I made one before I screwed up my sewing machine.  When I have some progress made on those I'll post it.

My loom without the warp.
I found that my weaving supplies has started to overflow out of the container, so to alleviate that I strung up my loom.  I know I know, why am I starting a new project?  Well this is an accumulation weaving.  I string up a warp and as I collect bits of fabric, scrap yarn, chopsticks, whatever I can find I add it to the weaving in the order I pick it up.  It's the idea of not letting anything go to waste, so making something from nothing.  Things we would throw out, bits of old ribbon, fabric strips, scrap yarns, shoelaces etc. I call 'Nothings'.  Little things that we as a culture think nothing of, I think are the best materials.  Part of the purpose of these weavings is to reducing my carbon footprint.  I knit a sweater, the larger scrap balls go into a scrap rug, and the smaller bits go into the weavings.  This way anything that does end up in the trash is so small I can't possibly use it, thus reducing my waste ( in regards to my supplies).  Mice could use it.  If I had a mouse, I'd give it the little bits of fluff that I can't use so it could build a nest.  I like to think that even my nothings are some other creature's building materials. 

I'm watching "Mama's Boys" on TLC cause, lets face it, at 1:15 am there's nothing else on.  I'm really disgusted by the behavior of these guys.  They're well into their 30s and living with their mothers.... and this is completely acceptable to them.  They don't do their own laundry they don't cook, they have no survival skills for living on their own except for plucking the hairs out of their nasal passages.  And they're proud of it.  That boggles my mind.  I can't wait to move out of my parent's house and have a place of my own.  I can do my own laundry, cook (as long as I have an egg timer and a recipe to follow) and I know how to clean.  How do these people get reality t.v. shows?  I guess incompetence is in vogue.  It frightens me that this is considered acceptable and even entertaining.  In some strange way I guess I can say I'm comfortable with my masculine side enough to admit I can take care of myself.... that doesn't seem to be worded right, what I mean is, I have bigger balls than them cause I can be a big kid and clean my own clothing.  Reality TV is truly the lowest form of entertainment.  Soap Operas at least have a plot and actors who attempt to act.  And yet I enjoy the reality t.v. shows from Animal Planet, I think that it's because I learn something from them.  I learn interesting facts about snakes, gators, cats, dogs, and birds when I watch animal planet and they're cute too.  It's a win- win situation.  Educational and adorable.

6:46pm
Ok so I have finally cut my hair short.  The long hair is gone and on it's way to one of those wigs for cancer kids foundations.  If I ever have the bright idea to donate my hair again, please shoot me.  I forgot how much I like having short hair.  It's like a literal pound of hair was taken off of my head.  My long hair, as pretty as it is, makes me look like I'm a 15 yr old high school student and it mats!  I hate combing out long hair.  It was like almost touching my butt that's how long it was.
I guess that's all I have to post for now.  Not much else is happening except for the exhibition I'm currently working on pieces for.  I'll post about that at a later date... like when I have photos taken.
So for now,
See Ya'll Later!


No comments:

Post a Comment